Ok, so I love crab cakes! But a good crab cake is hard to find. Most restaurants use too much filler (cheaper to make this way), and you have to break the bank to be able to afford them. Even if you make the crab cakes yourself it is not cheap. Crab meat is expensive! Especially if you are picky like my family and want the lump crab meat. Nevertheless, I have to have my crab cake fix every once in a while. Making your own is still far cheaper than taking your family to a restaurant to get them, and they are quick and easy to make.
- 6 Tablespoons Bread Crumbs
- 4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Scallions
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 2 teaspoons Parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or just a shake or two depending on how spicy you like it)
- 16 Ounces Lump Crabmeat
- Mix all ingredients except for the crab meat together and stir well.
- Then add the crab meat and mix gently. You don’t want to break up the lumps of crab meat, so be gentle here.
- Sprinkle a little olive oil in a large skillet.
- Place some extra bread crumbs out on a small plate.
- Form the crab mixture into patties and coat both sides lightly in the bread crumbs and place in the skillet.
- Fry on medium to low heat until done, turning once.
- Cook time is approximately 20 minutes. This is not the time to multitask or fold that load of laundry. Yes I’m talking to you. You know who you are. You cannot afford to burn crab meat! ;O)