Around here I often need a quick easy side dish to round out a meal. This is one of our favorites. I like to use the rotini that is made with vegetables. When my kids were little it was a good way to sneak in a few vegetables on the sly. When my son was little he didn’t like to risk eating any vegetables that weren’t potatoes, so he used to eat only the white rotini and leave the green and orange ones on his plate. I’m happy to report he now eats all three colors.
- 6 ounces (1/2 box) Garden Rotini
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 4 Ounces Velveeta Cheese
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add the butter, salt, pepper, milk, and cheese, and set aside.
- Fill a medium size saucepan 2/3 of the way full with water, add a little salt, and bring this to a boil
- Add your Rotini to the boiling water and cook according to the directions (usually about 10 minutes).
- While the Rotini is cooking start melting your cheese mixture in the microwave. I usually start out with about 45 seconds and stir, then do 30 second increments, stirring in between until the mixture is fully melted and mixed.
- When the Rotini is done cooking, drain the water off in a colander.
- Then return the Rotini to the pan and pour the cheese mixture over the top and mix well. You can add more salt or pepper if you like, or for a little kick you could add a couple shakes of cayenne pepper.