I always keep a couple of packages of salmon in the pantry. It is a quick easy meal for those nights when you forgot that you would probably want to eat supper that day. Those nights when you realize that you have no meat in the house, or that it is in the freezer, frozen solid, and you need to have dinner ready in about 30 minutes. Besides being easy, salmon patties taste great! They are good for you, and you get to dip them in ketchup. We love when we get to dip things in ketchup! So let’s make some salmon patties, throw in some tater tots or oven fries, add a little mac and cheese, and make our inner child happy!
- 2 Packages (5oz) of Salmon
- 2 Eggs
- 2 slices of bread torn into small pieces or chopped fine in a mini chopper or food processor
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- Bread Crumbs
- Drain any extra liquid out of your salmon into the sink and then add the salmon to a medium size bowl.
- Add the eggs, bread, Old Bay seasoning, salt and mustard to the salmon and mix.
- Then add enough bread crumbs to the mixture to absorb the extra liquid until you have the desired consistency to form into patties. (It will probably be around 2 tablespoons or so depending on the size of your eggs.)
- Butter the bottom of your skillet. Shape your salmon mixture into patties (if you don’t want your hands to smell like salmon, I would recommend wearing some disposable gloves) and place in the pan.
- Cook on medium heat until browned and then flip to the other side. Turn the heat down a little more and cook till the other side is brown. (These are like making a grilled cheese, the second side cooks much faster than the first side and is easy to burn. So be careful here.) This will probably take about 20 minutes so that it will be heated all the way through. Just make sure to keep turning the heat down as needed. I always end up on low by the end.
Don’t forget the Ketchup! Feel free to eat with your fingers!